- Summer in the City
- Derick Fage: Turning Cha...
- Sneaky Ways to Get Your ...
- ANNUAL TEACHER APPRECIATION CONTEST
- ARTS & CULTURE
- COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS
- COVER STORY
- EMPLOYMENT & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- FÊTE DE LA FAMILLE
- FÊTE DU QUARTIER SAINT-BRUNO
- FESTIVAL LAVAL LAUGHS
- HEALTH & WELL-BEING
- CHILDREN`S HEALTH & WELLNESS
- CLOSE AID
- DENTAL WELLNESS
- EXTREME EVOLUTION SPORTS CENTRE
- FONDATION CITÉ DE LA SANTÉ
- HEARING HEALTH
- MESSAGES FROM THE HEALTH AGENCY OF CANADA
- MENTAL HEALTH
- SPECIAL NEEDS
- THE NUTRITION CORNER
- THE NUTRITION CORNER - RECIPES
- VACATION DESTINATION
- WOMEN'S FITNESS
- WOMEN'S HEALTH
- HILTON MONTREAL/LAVAL
- HOME & GARDEN
- JAGUAR LAVAL
- LAVAL FAMILIES TV SHOW
- LAVAL FAMILIES MAGAZINE CARES
- LAVAL URBAN IN NATURE
- LE PARCOURS DES HÉROS
- LES PETITS GOURMETS DANS MA COUR
- LFM PREMIERES
- LIFE BALANCE
- MISS EDGAR'S AND MISS CRAMP'S SCHOOL
- PARC DE LA RIVIÈRE-DES-MILLE-ÎLES
- PÂTISSERIE ST-MARTIN
- PLACE BELL
- PORTRAITS OF YOUR MNA'S
- ROCKET DE LAVAL
- SHERATON LAVAL HOTEL
- SUBARU DE LAVAL
- TODAY`S LAURENTIANS AND LANAUDIÈRE
- TODAY`S LAVAL
- WARNER MUSIC
- THIS ISSUE
- MOST RECENT
Tips and Ideas for Healthier Summer Camp Lunches
plates are washed, the dinner table is cleared, and you are ready to get some
much-needed rest, when suddenly you realize that lunch-packing is awaiting,
even in the summer months! What will you prepare for those kids who change what
they like to eat every second day?
Some might say that packing lunches is one of the most dreaded and daunting tasks that a parent has; our kids need a healthy lunch that will keep them going all day long. Here are some tips and ideas for parent and kid-approved lunches.
Wrap things up!
Instead of the same old sandwich, try whole grain wraps. There are so many possibilities here. Add some nitrite-free, low sodium turkey or ham slices, with julienned carrots, peppers, and shredded cheddar for a very tasty option that kids will love. This also makes for a lighter and fresher summer lunch.
Another great option is a healthy version of the traditional PB & J. Spread sunflower seed butter onto a wrap for a more nutritious, peanut-free option. Then, add the fruit your kids enjoy, like banana and/or strawberry slices.
Use Leftovers Wisely
Make more at suppertime and pack leftovers for lunch. Some food is even better cold, so pack it in a container right after dinner and put it on an ice pack in their lunch box. This ensures that lunch will be healthy and is great if your kids don’t like sandwiches.
Make healthy swaps that will give your children the energy they will need for their day. Here are just a few:
- Pack homemade healthy muffins instead of cookies. If you don’t have time to bake fresh muffins on a weeknight, prepare a batch on Sunday.
- Spread hummus, guacamole or pesto in your wrap or sandwich instead of mayonnaise or butter. They’re all tastier and healthier.
- Pack trail mix instead of candy as a snack. Since premade mixes tend to be high in sugar and/or salt, buy the nuts and dried fruit separately (low to no salt and sugar) and then blend them together in a big bowl, which is conveniently cheaper in the long run anyway! If your kid’s sweet tooth is still not satisfied, try adding in some high-quality dark chocolate chips.
Swap out the ol’ juice boxes for a water bottle filled with sliced fruit. Kids love the flavored water and when they’re done, they can refill it all day long. The fruit adds flavor and can even be eaten later. Water is so important for keeping kids hydrated, especially on hot days, and flushes out toxins. Here are some great combinations:
- Lemon and strawberry
- Lemon, cucumber, and mint
- Mix of citrus fruit (orange, grapefruit, lime, lemon)
- Plan what you want to pack before grocery shopping
- Pre-cut veggies and fruit on Sundays
- Make bigger batches of suppers
CONTESTS Enter our contests
COMMUNITY Posts Events
PUBLICATIONS Our Magazine Family Resource Directory
LFM BUSINESS NETWORK Learn more
COUPONS Click to save!
E-NEWSLETTER Subscribe to our E-newsletter Un-Subscribe
WRITE FOR US Guidelines & Submissions
POLLS Vote today!
SUGGESTIONS Reader's Survey Suggest a Listing
LFM About Us Our Mission Giving Back Contact Us